BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] expiring disabled host's backups?

2008-07-16 13:23:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] expiring disabled host's backups?
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:23:11 +0200
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> On 07/16 06:13 , Tino Schwarze wrote:
>> we recently installed a server from scratch and renamed the old
>> host on
>> the backup server to keep it's backups (and disabled backups
>> altogether). Now I would like to expire the old backups from that
>> host.
>> I didn't want to just remove the directories or would that be the
>> easiest way - deleting the directories and the appropiate lines
>> from the
>> backups file as well?
>
> This wiki page gives a script (and patch which should be applied to
> it)
> which is suggested for deleting backups.
>
> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+delete+backups
>
> You *can* generally get away with just deleting /var/lib/backuppc/
> pc; and
> letting the BackupPC_nightly job take care of deleting the
> hardlinks. I
> believe this has been recommended against; tho I can't remember the
> specifics of why. If someone would care to refresh my memory it
> would be
> appreciated.
>
> By and large, it may be safest to shut down backuppc when you do
> this; just
> to make sure nothing is going on while you're deleting files.

The official docs have this to say:

"To completely remove a client and all its backups, you should remove
its entry in the conf/hosts file, and then delete the __TOPDIR__/pc/
$host directory. Whenever you change the hosts file, you should send
BackupPC a HUP (-1) signal so that it re-reads the hosts file. If you
don't do this, BackupPC will automatically re-read the hosts file at
the next regular wakeup.

Note that when you remove a client's backups you won't initially
recover a lot of disk space. That's because the client's files are
still in the pool. Overnight, when BackupPC_nightly next runs, all the
unused pool files will be deleted and this will recover the disk space
used by the client's backups."

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item_removing_a_client

Nils Breunese.