BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] expiring disabled host's backups?

2008-07-16 12:42:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] expiring disabled host's backups?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:42:23 -0500
On 07/16 06:13 , Tino Schwarze wrote:
> we recently installed a server from scratch and renamed the old host on
> the backup server to keep it's backups (and disabled backups
> altogether). Now I would like to expire the old backups from that host.
> I didn't want to just remove the directories or would that be the
> easiest way - deleting the directories and the appropiate lines from the
> backups file as well?

This wiki page gives a script (and patch which should be applied to it)
which is suggested for deleting backups.

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+delete+backups

You *can* generally get away with just deleting /var/lib/backuppc/pc; and
letting the BackupPC_nightly job take care of deleting the hardlinks. I
believe this has been recommended against; tho I can't remember the
specifics of why. If someone would care to refresh my memory it would be
appreciated.

By and large, it may be safest to shut down backuppc when you do this; just
to make sure nothing is going on while you're deleting files.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator