BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] recover from failure

2008-07-08 05:00:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] recover from failure
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Mark Coetser <mark AT tux-edo.co DOT za>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 02:00:20 -0700
Mark writes:

> > I have a box that was running sme server 7.x with backuppc storing backups
> > onto an external USB drive, the server had a drive failure and I am trying
> > to restore the data through a Debian box running backuppc, I have the USb
> > drive mounted under /var/lib/backuppc and I have chowned the whole dir to
> > backuppc:backuppc, when I log on through the cgi and select the host I am
> > not seeing any of the backups or old log/xfer files but I am seeing the
> > current LOG file.
> >
> > I assume the admin cgi uses the /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/backups to
> > list the backups?
>
> OK so I think my problem is that the version that was running on sme server
> was version 1.x.x and now I am running 2.x.x and the
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/backups is different, I see with v3.0.0 there
> is a script too rebuild the backups file is there any other way using v2?

Sorry about the delay in replying.  First, is there useful information
in /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/backups.old?

If you upgrade to v3 the BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary script will
attempt to rebuild the backups file for 2.x backups using the
per-client LOG files.

An alternative is to rebuilt the file manually.  The format is
pretty simple (an ascii file with one line per backup, each field
is tab delimited; see the docs). Quite a few of the fields are
for stats so you don't need to get those right.  You could copy
another backups file and edit, but you should be really sure to
not delete or add any tabs.

Craig