BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Missing symlink backups, rsync+ssh

2008-07-01 12:07:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Missing symlink backups, rsync+ssh
From: Jason Jorgensen <jasonj AT fasturl DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:06:51 -0500
Searching the wiki, docs and web and I havent found an answer yet.

Currently using BackupPC Version 3.0.0 on a Debian box.

Backing up over 40 hosts. Has been working wonderful, thanks alot!

My current problem is that not all symlinks are being backed up.

This symlink is backed up:
/lib/libcrypt.so.1 -> /lib/libcrypt-2.3.6.so

But this symlink is not backed up for any host:
/bin/sh -> bash

The following are the default parameters rsync/backuppc is using. If I
use these parameters to clone one box to another box all the symlinks
are intact, but not in the backups.
--numeric-ids
--perms
--owner
--group
-D
--links
--hard-links
--times
--block-size=2048
--recursive
--archive

I recently had to restore a full backup and there were many many library
symlinks and other symlinks missing that most software did not run.

I deeply apologize if the answer to this is readily available and I have
not found it.