BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Quotas whith BackupPC

2008-07-07 23:21:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Quotas whith BackupPC
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: nadiakheffache AT yahoo DOT fr
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:20:59 -0600
??why would you do that??  you will certainly have many failed backups if you do this.  Also, the quota would have no useful function except to break backups.

You might be ok if you just setup SOFT quotas and put the hard limits extremely high.  Then the backuppc server would send an email each time someone backed up data over their quota but once they hit that point they would get a notification every single time until an old full backup expired that had some large files that have been deleted.

You would be much better off putting a quota on the remote computer for the user in question.  You can do this in windowsXP+ easily.

managing quotas in linux is well beyond the scope of this mailing list and google can help you out but I think that this is not a functional solution on backuppc.  backuppc should just do backups, not tell people how much they can backup.