BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Please su www-data first (!?)

2008-05-25 19:24:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Please su www-data first (!?)
From: Frederick Reeve <cylix AT solace DOT info>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 18:24:00 -0500
On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:53:32 +0200
Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As user root I have no right to start BackupPC:
>
> soleil-xl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/backuppc start
> Starting backuppc: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC: Wrong user: my
> userid is 0, instead of 33 (www-data)
> Please su www-data first
> BackupPC::Lib->new failed
>
> Very funny !!!
>
> I have to start it at boot time...
>
> We use BpPC 3.1.0 on Debian Etch, Apache2 with mod_perl (without it
> doesn't work)

Some questions Should be asked here:
        1. Did you download the source and run 'perl configure.pl' your self or
are you using a package?
        2. Did you use the init script that came with the backuppc
source/debian-package or did you roll your own.

With BackupPC from the debian repository this should not happen.  I have used
it.  If your using the Debian init scrip from the BackupPC source after running
configure.pl (correctly) this should not happen.  I have several production
systems I use this way also.  All my systems are Debian/Ubuntu and all are
BackupPC 3.1.0.

> To solve this bug how to suppress the user check, in witch script ? -
> I'm not Perl expert.

The check needs to be there the error is with the init scrip not running the
BackupPC program as the correct user.  Any init script fired off as root should
be able to run a process as any other user using the standard start-stop-daemon
command or a number of other ways.  Running as the correct user is required for
proper operation of BackupPC from what I know.  Running it as root is is not
what is desired in general or ever in my opinion.

The error is in the init script from every thing I see you saying.  This is a
shell script not perl so if you do some shell scripting you should look at that
first or make sure you use the packaged/compiled init script.