BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] break 3ware mirror

2008-05-10 12:36:40
Subject: [BackupPC-users] break 3ware mirror
From: R.Quenett <qfora AT quen DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 11:31:53 -0500
In another thread some time ago, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

"  With a 3ware hardware RAID controller and good-quality hot-swap drive
"  bays; you go to the web or command line interface for the array, remove
"  the failed drive from the array, pull the drive, put in the new one, tell
"  the 3ware controller to add it back in, and rebuild the array. Done.

If a person does this with a good drive, is the removed good drive
readable, as is, on a standard motherboard pata port?

I'm trying to avoid having to learn 3ware CLI.  Doing most of the
above and removing a good drive from a mirror (for offsite backup)
with 3DM2 doesn't give me a flawless copy.  I don't have hot swap
cages so I power down the machine to remove/replace the drive, which
seems to me like it should work.

The problem I have is that when I check the off-site candidate drive
on a standard (not 3ware controller) port, /dev/hda say, gparted
shows it as being unallocated space.  I can sometimes rewrite the
partition table to get the /var/lib/backuppc to show up in a
completely useable way but, with my fat fingers, I'd rather not have
to rely on that.