Amanda-Users

Upgrading amanda

2009-07-14 12:27:11
Subject: Upgrading amanda
From: Bryan <hodgson AT eecs.lehigh DOT edu>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:49:36 -0400
Folks,

We've been running 2.4.x (presently 2.4.4p1) on Solaris 9 since
2002 (and earlier versions back to about 1997 ..).  The 2.4.4
release has been enormously successful, and has saved our tail
feathers any number of times.  Clients are Solaris and Linux of
various vintages (including some Fedora that should be retired.)

We're bringing up ZFS file systems; looks like it's time to move
to 2.6.1.  I've read the UPGRADING file in the distribution, and
am seeking guidance on some finer points.

We keep daily backups for 4 weeks, weeklies for 4 months, and
monthlies for 1 year.  Can I expect that 2.6.1 amanda will be
able to 'amadmin find' and recover tapes written by 2.4.4?  (My
guess is 'yes'.) Is there compelling merit to doing an upgrade to
2.5.1 as a tranisitional step? (Guess = no).

Updating all of the clients in one fell swoop would present
challenges.

A number of client machines (but not all) are presently running
2.5.1, the result of a prior but incomplete attempt to upgrade.
The 2.5.1 clients work fine with the 2.4.4 server.  Can I expect
the older clients to work with a 2.6.1 server? (Guess = I hope
so.) Or should I upgrade the clients first and the server
second?  (Guess = no.)

My guesses are just that, and have no basis.  Some guidance (even
if only more informed guesses) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bryan