Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems with 2.6.1

2009-02-18 17:40:30
Subject: Re: changer problems with 2.6.1
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:37:16 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
> This is a real problem for established (longtime) users of Amanda that have
> many, many machines - many flavors of OS, some very old hardware and
> mission critical production software that can't be replaced.
> It appears as though a lot of useful, and interesting new functionality is
> being added to Amanda, and I will regret not being able to take advantage
> of this, but our job is to keep the control systems operating, everything
> else must come second to that.

I certainly do not want to be responsible for boilers running dry --
that sounds dangerous!

As you indicate in your final paragraph, this was a decision we made
some time ago, after much deliberation.  I'm keen on the idea of
"freezing" and stripping down a perl-free, Glib-free version of the
Amanda client for cases such as yours.  Certainly, nothing we're doing
precludes this option -- client/server backward compatibility is
paramount -- but we don't have the resources to create and maintain
such a mini-client.

This might make an interesting project for someone here - any takers?

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com