Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems with 2.6.1

2009-02-18 11:35:20
Subject: Re: changer problems with 2.6.1
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:30:37 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:56:24AM -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:44 AM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
> > Can you make any suggestions as to how to come up with a configuration for
> > the new system that will replicate the existing functionality.
>
> What you have shown here looks fine, and should still be functional,
> although the global tapedev is not necessary when using chg-multi.  In
> my earlier email, I suggested some places you could start looking for
> information as to what's happening -- so far all I've seen is "fails
> to be able to find a valid slot".  I think you've gotten distracted by
> the 'mt' issue and the _ function, neither of which are likely to be
> relevant to the problem at hand.
Agreed,

However, what I am suspecting is that we have been using a "corner case" for
years which may not work now. The new design appears to be able to more
correctly
describe our confguration, so I am suspecting that I need to change the
basic config to one using chg-rait, as i posted a minute ago. Or would you
suggest that we continue to use the older config, and debug it?

> Please check out the logfiles and
> other sources of clues I mentioned earlier, and post the interesting
> bits here if you need a hand analyzing them.
>
> You'll find that chg-multi logs to "changer.debug" in your debug log
> directory:
>  29 if [ -d "@AMANDA_DBGDIR@" ]; then
>  30         logfile=@AMANDA_DBGDIR@/changer.debug
>  31 else
>  32         logfile=/dev/null
>  33 fi
>
> you can find the value of AMANDA_DBGDIR with
>  amgetconf build.AMANDA_DBGDIR
>
> The debug logs from various 'amtape' invocations may also be enlightening.

Right, we found that last night. It looks like it appends the debug lines
for each run onto the same file, right?

It appears that this is the output of a "good" run with the 2.5.2p1 using
the 2.5.1.p2 chg-multi script:

MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
Exit -> 1 25 1
Args -> -slot current
MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
-> rewind rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape1,tape:/dev/nst0}
Exit -> 1 rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape1,tape:/dev/nst0}
Args -> -slot next
MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
-> rewind rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape2,tape:/dev/nst0}
Exit -> 2 rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape2,tape:/dev/nst0}
Args -> -slot next
MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
-> rewind
rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape3,tape:/dev/nst0}
Exit -> 3
rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape3,tape:/dev/nst0}
Args -> -info
MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
Exit -> 3 25 1
Args -> -slot current
MT -> /opt/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
-> rewind
rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape3,tape:/dev/nst0}
Exit -> 3
rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape3,tape:/dev/nst0}

Now Here is the output of a failed run with 2.6.1 using the 2.6.1 chg-multi:

arguments -> -info
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 2 25 1
arguments -> -slot current
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 2 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 3 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 4 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 5 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 6 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 7 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 8 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 9 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 10 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 11 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 12 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 13 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 14 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 15 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 16 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 17 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 18 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 19 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 20 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 21 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 22 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 23 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 24 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 25 chg-multi: slot is empty:
arguments -> -slot next
Note: setting posteject to a default of true
Exit -> 1 chg-multi: slot is empty:

Thanks for your help!

programs.