Amanda-Users

Re: Backup sucessfull? - [Fwd: MonthlyDisk1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR October 22, 2008]

2008-10-23 05:36:59
Subject: Re: Backup sucessfull? - [Fwd: MonthlyDisk1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR October 22, 2008]
From: Jens Haeuser <j.haeuser AT gesotec DOT de>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:00:05 +0200
Marc Muehlfeld schrieb:
Jens Haeuser schrieb:
gdasvr01.xxx.local  sdb1             lev 0  FAILED [disk sdb1, all estimate timed out]

is this just the estimate timeout summary?

# man amanda.conf
-> etimeout
Increase the etimeout value.
ok, i had it to a high value but somehow put it back to 300, i will set it higher for todays run and see what happens, how can i guess the value i need to set it to?.

>  gdasvr02.xxx.local  /media/mails/jh  lev 0  STRANGE
> What does STRANGE mean?

"Strange" means that something happend during the backup, you should notice. E. g. a file changed during the read, or like in your case "Cannot stat: No such file or directory", the file is gone before it could be backuped.
Ok.., I get it.. :)

How can i turn off the estimate?! Is it bad to turn it off?

I think you can't. The entry in the manpage doesn't says anything about disabling.
Hmm  you seem to be right, there are only different ways on how to estimate things (client, calcsize, server), maybe i can play around with these... but I first try to set the estimate timeout to a higher level.....

What does gtar mean with:
Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> Why should the file or directory not be there anymore?

The file was there during the estimation, but not when the backup was done. This often happens here on the mail files, because sometimes users delete mails during backup runs.
Ok since I started the backup during the afternoon, this might be very likely the case....

All in all if i look at the backup summary, it seems to be "ok" except /dev/sdb1 which failed?!

Have you successfully run
# amcheck {Setname}
before your backup? If not, what kind of problems were reported?

backup@gdasvr99:/etc/amanda/MonthlyDisk1$ amcheck MonthlyDisk1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /media/sdb1/amandaholding: 306896 MB disk space available, using 40000 MB as requested
slot 3: read label `MonthlyTape1-002', date `20081022172902'
cannot overwrite active tape MonthlyTape1-002
slot 4: Found a non-amanda tape, will label it `MonthlyTape1-003'.
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Found a brand new tape, will label it MonthlyTape1-003.
Server check took 0.611 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.719 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.2p1)

amcheck seems to be ok....

Regards
Marc