Amanda-Users

Re: Using a disk cartrige as a tape device in Amanda

2008-10-15 09:31:59
Subject: Re: Using a disk cartrige as a tape device in Amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:26:08 -0400
On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>Hello
>Is it possible to use something a hard drive cartridge like this
>http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_rd1000?c=us&c
>s=04&l=en&s=bsd as a "real" tape device in Amanda ? ( Not vtape )
>I was wondering if there are physical properties of a hard drive which
>prevent it from being used like a tape.
>EK

Sure.  As long as each one has the proper directory structure, has been
labeled correctly, and is pre-mounted, there should not be any huge problems.
I have been using a 400GB sata drive as 30 virtual tapes for about 2 years
and counting.  I've found it to be far more dependable than the cheap dds2
tapes I wore out 5 or 6 drives using.  And for recovery, its random access,
hundreds of times faster than tape.  Whats not to like?

See the man pages for a tape drive called HARD-DISK.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I don't understand you anymore.