Amanda-Users

Re: Glib detection failing

2008-08-18 16:31:37
Subject: Re: Glib detection failing
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:18:29 -0400
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:57:48PM -0400, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
> > I've see some gnome software that has funny numbering.
> > Like 2.1 > 2.11 > 2.12 > 2.2 > 2.21
> > So it could look like 2.11 and 2.12 etc are newer than 2.2.
> > I don't know if your glib 2.16 is newer than 2.2 or not.
>
> It is newer, no worries.  I'm going to put a FAQ on the wiki about this.
>
> The error in config.log is:
>
> /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/gmessages.h:128: warning: invalid
> character in macro parameter name
> /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/gmessages.h:128: badly punctuated
> parameter list in `#define'
>
> In my gmessages.h, that's
> 125 #ifdef G_HAVE_ISO_VARARGS
> 126 #define g_error(...)    g_log (G_LOG_DOMAIN,         \
> 127                                G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR,    \
> 128                                __VA_ARGS__)
>
> which suggests that glib was built with a compiler that understands
> __VA_ARGS__ (I think this is a C99 thing), but that you're not
> building Amanda with such a compiler.  It looks like configure is
> finding gcc-2.7.2.1.  Amanda itself requires a C99 compiler, so you'll
> probably need to use a newer gcc.

ARGH!

Thanks you have found a huge problem with my build environment. This
machine was "upgraded" by someone a while back that did not understand the
packaging system, and I am still cleaning that up. I had just re-installed
an old version of gcc this morning, just to de-install it, but I missed
this one, which was in the path. I now have 3.4.2 install (correctly I
hope). I'll just be this fixes a world of problems.

Thanks for the huge helping hand!!
programs.