Amanda-Users

Re: Busted Tape Drive

2008-08-07 20:05:07
Subject: Re: Busted Tape Drive
From: Matthew Marlowe <matt AT deploylinux DOT net>
To: Steven Backus <backus AT whimsy.med.utah DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:57:21 -0700
 For example, in your rc.conf
file you may have:

/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 defblksize 0

I think this probably gets too specific.

The error could just as easily occur because amanda is upgraded to new binaries which are not compiled for the proper blocksize at the same time that a new amanda configuration file is missing a blocksize option.

We should probably just expand the blocksize section of the FAQ and point people with issues reading tape labels to it as a possible cause. I know the whole concept of fixed blocksize verse variable can get confusing.

I know we put "options st buffer_kbs=256" in /etc/modprobe.conf here to force a 256K fixed blocksize rather than deal with variable size.

--
DeployLinux Consulting, Inc
Senior Infrastructure Consultant