Amanda-Users

Re: directory locations and dumpuser after new install of amanda 2.6.0p1

2008-07-26 05:12:31
Subject: Re: directory locations and dumpuser after new install of amanda 2.6.0p1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 05:06:39 -0400
On Saturday 26 July 2008, Doyle Collings wrote:
>I have decided to clean out my old installations of Amanda 2.46, 2.6.0p1
> rpm, and 2.6.0p1 from source and start fresh.  I noticed that the defaults
> of the install from source do not match the rpm from zmanda.  For example,
> The link
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_packages_from_Zmanda_downloads_page
> states that the Amanda commands are in /usr/sbin.  Installing from source
> puts them in /usr/local/sbin.  It appears that installing from source still
> puts the amanda user as the default dumpuser and not amandabackup.  Bottom
> line, I want my install from source directories and default user to matchup
> with intended direction of present and future packages.  I would use the
> RPM provided but I want to configure my installation configure
> --with-maxtapeblocksize=N.  I also am running the 64 bit version of SLES
> 10SP1 and want to compile with the 64 bit code.

I havn't posted this for a while, but a consistent configuration means tehre
are
no surprises (generally) when I install a newer version of amanda, and at
present I'm tracking the 2.6.0p# series.  I use a script I last edited 2 or 3
years ago to do all this.  Amanda is the dumpuser, and is a member of the
family disk on this machine.  Make it executable, and su amanda to run it.
====================
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --with-config=Daily \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar

make

===============

You can of course adjust this to suit, I'm using virtual tapes on a separate
hard drive, many times more dependable than my previous setup using DDS2 tapes
and a seagate changer.

The idea is build consistency.  I keep a copy in /home/amanda, which is where I
build amanda, and copy it into a newly unpacked amanda src directory each time
I unpack a new snapshot.

Make install is of course done as root.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Reset button? Which reset button? - Linux, the OS that never sleeps.

   -- Havlik Denis