Amanda-Users

Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job

2008-07-25 21:11:56
Subject: Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job
From: FL <lengyel AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:04:50 -0400

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 at 4:33pm, Doyle Collings wrote

I put two more ISO images in my backup folder. I am now backing up 5.4783 GB.  My previous math of the 5.5 GB a minute using tar was flawed.  With tar I am able to backup the 5.4783 GB of files in under two minutes.  I ran the Amanda "fullback" backup with the new configuration...sitting front of the server with my watch in hand. Because the holding disk is larger than my backup size, Amanda backed the job up to the holding disk before the tape drive started writing. It took nine minutes to write to the holding disk. Then the tape started writing.  It took only about three minutes to go from holding disk to tape. 12 minutes total for 5.5 gigabytes.  It appears that the problem is not in the tape write speed, but what is happening on the server to prepare and backup the data for the holding disk.

As an aside, why are you timing this by hand?  Amanda should be sending you an email with all the details in it (including speed in dumping to holding disk and speed writing to tape).  You *want* those emails.

--
And if you are doing measurements it is perfectly reasonable to make your own, to compare with the amanda backup report.
It is absurd to question  why anyone would not want  make independent measurements.

Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin
UCSF