Amanda-Users

Re: tar vs. dump for / backup?

2008-07-15 14:59:07
Subject: Re: tar vs. dump for / backup?
From: "johns AT msli DOT com" <johns AT msli DOT com>
To: Andres Moya <andres.moya.i AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:23:40 -0700
Since the 'all estimate failed' error is a generic (thank you Dustin),
it was suggested (thank you Jean-Louis) that I look on the client for
amandad.*.debug and sendsize.*.debug for error message.

On the Gentoo client I found the log in:
   /var/spool/amanda/tmp/client/DailySet1
The file: sendsize.20080714181357.debug

sendsize[7952]: time 0.001: calculating for amname /, dirname /, spindle -1
sendsize[7952]: time 0.001: getting size via dump for / level 0
sendsize[7952]: time 0.001: calculating for device /dev/sda2 with reiserfs
sendsize[7952]: time 0.001: running "/usr/sbin/dump 0Ssf 1048576 - /dev/sda2"
sendsize[7952]: time 0.002: running /usr/libexec/killpgrp
sendsize[7950]: time 0.002: waiting for any estimate child: 1 running
sendsize[7952]: time 0.003: /dev/sda2: Bad magic number in super-block while
opening filesystem^M
sendsize[7952]: time 0.003:   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
sendsize[7952]: time 0.004: .....
sendsize[7952]: time 0.004: estimate time for / level 0: 0.002
sendsize[7952]: time 0.004: no size line match in /usr/sbin/dump output for /

This error offers more information as to why it really died.
What do I do about it?
What does it mean?
Is this a manifestation of the reiserfs-dump incompatibility?