Amanda-Users

Re: tar vs. dump for / backup?

2008-07-15 02:21:33
Subject: Re: tar vs. dump for / backup?
From: "johns AT msli DOT com" <johns AT msli DOT com>
To: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:12:56 -0700
The final report email, in dump summery, it shows / failed.
DUMP SUMMARY:
                                       DUMPER STATS               TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB  OUT-KB  COMP%  MMM:SS   KB/s MMM:SS   KB/s
-------------------------- ------------------------------------- -------------
builder /           0 FAILED --------------------------------------------
builder /boot       1      21      64  304.8    0:00   42.0   0:00 1966.9

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 00:09 -0400, Ian Turner wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 22:01:21 johns AT msli DOT com wrote:
> > I am trying to backup a remote host's /boot and / mount points.
> > I don't have a tape drive, so I am backing up host to a disk on the
> > server.
> > When I use hard-disk-dump, /boot seems to backup fine, but / doesn't.
> > When I use hard-disk-tar, both backup.
> > What's wrong with my hard-disk-dump?
>
> Can you explain how you know that / doesn't work? To put it differently, what
> evidence has Amanda given you that there is a problem, besides the empty
> index dir?
>
> --Ian

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attachment hereto
may contain confidential information of Meyer Sound Laboratories, Incorporated
and is intended for the personal and confidential use of the designated
recipient(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient), you have received this
message in error and any review, distribution, or copying of this message or
any attachment hereto is prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please promptly notify the sender and permanently delete it from your
computer.