Amanda-Users

Re: No index files being generated - possible freebsd-ism or shell specific issues

2008-04-04 00:45:28
Subject: Re: No index files being generated - possible freebsd-ism or shell specific issues
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:26:39 -0500
Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Oscar Ricardo Silva
<osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu> wrote:
I think I'm getting closer to getting this working on FreeBSD and my past
errors were a combination of hardheadedness and incorrect documentation.
Some of the "encryption" documentation points to the need to create your own
amaespipe, etc.  I followed the suggestion of just using amcrypt and this
appears to work.

I don't know if it's because people who are into encryption play their
cards close to their chest, or what, but it seems like every time it
comes up, the documentation doesn't end up getting updated.
Personally, I've not played much with encryption, and my plate's way
to full to do so at the moment.  All of this is a roundabout way of
saying: yes, the documentation is horribly linux-centric,
aespipe-centric, and out of date, and is also on a wiki.  Please
update! :)

 One small note:  amcrypt and amaespipe are not built on the client if you
run "configure" with  "--without-server".  I would suggest that this
functionality be changed although I don't have any real issue with building
everything on the client.

This is a good point.  I'll take a look.  They really should be common
to both client and server.

 Etar: This does not look like a tar archive
 tar: Skipping to next header
 tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
 tar: Archive contains `\004KrtSv\2344D\314\377\371' where numeric off_t
value expected
 tar: Skipping to next header
 tar: Archive contains `\330\022\303c\230\265\a>\262\311\034\207' where
numeric off_t value expected
 tar: Skipping to next header
 tar: ./boot/boot0: Not found in archive
 tar: ./boot/boot1: Not found in archive
 Extractor child exited with status 2

 (by the way, two backups were run, one with tar 1.13.25 and the second
having configured amanda to use 1.14)

This looks suspiciously like amrecover isn't even trying to decrypt
the data.  The funny thing about Amanda is that all of the
"unfiltering" of data on restore is done on the server, regardless of
the client/server settings in the DLE, and happens through
'amfetchdump'.  So a good place to start may be extracting your dumps
using 'amfetchdump', and examining any problems there.

Hopefully someone else can jump in with a solution.  What version of
Amanda is this?

Dustin

It's 2.5.2p1 on both the server and the client. I'll take a look at the server side of things and see if I'm able to "recover" anything there as well as using amfetchdump.