Amanda-Users

No index files being generated - possible freebsd-ism or shell specific issues

2008-04-02 12:49:44
Subject: No index files being generated - possible freebsd-ism or shell specific issues
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:36:32 -0500
Sorry for the multiple recent posts but as I work my way through enabling
encrypted backups I keep running into different issues.  In our last episode, I
had enabled encrypted backups and corrected an issue with ipv6 and key placement
on the amanda server.

My current issue is that while backups appear to run without a hitch, I can't
restore.  These problems are all on FreeBSD machines, 4.x on up through 6.3.  I
can launch amrecover and it communicates with the amanda server.  When I try to
list files I get the error:

No index records for disk for specified date
If date correct, notify system administrator

I checked the amanda server and sure enough, there were no index files.  The
file for that particular filesystem was there but it was empty. I have a feeling this isn't necessarily an amanda issue but more of a problem in how encryption is implemented. If I try encrypting the backup file manually I get the error:

bz2aespipe: wrong magic - aborted

I changed the output for amaespipe so that errors are written to a file instead
of /dev/tty and when the backup runs I get the same error message.

Is anybody else doing encrypted backups for FreeBSD clients? Could be we take this off-list since it's probably not an amanda specific problem.

Oscar