Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.5.1.p1 & ssh-auth

2007-08-04 10:41:30
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.5.1.p1 & ssh-auth
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:27:47 -0400

Ralf Auer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       I am just upgrading my Amanda from 2.4.5 to 2.5.1p1 (2.5.2p1 does not
> compile at all). I am very happy about the new 'ssh-auth' feature in
> 2.5. It works now in my test setup (only 2 DLEs).
>
> The question I have now, is, wether ssh is used ONLY for authentication,
> or if ALL dumps as well are now being done via ssh tunnel?
>
> Maybe you could answer that question, because in the latter case I would
> expect quite an increase of backup time when switching over to 150 DLE
> production setup.

Why did you choose 2.5.1p1 instead of 2.5.1p3?

As for ssh and transport, check out this page on the wiki:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_up_transport_encryption_with_SSH

Basically, yes, it does tunnel (or transport) the dump through ssh. I
haven't done any benchmarks, but even before I adopted amanda, I was
using ssh for my backup scripts to remote tape drives, becausee I didn't
want possibly sensitive data going over the network in clear. Lots of
weird stuff goes on at universities when all the kids bring their
computers to campus and set up in the dorms, labs, etc.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center