Amanda-Users

Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10

2007-07-31 23:03:34
Subject: Question to: Friday tape question - Top 10
From: Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 04:52:01 +0200
Hi everybody,

        I have a question that is related to that 'friday tape question' in
Amanda's Top10 I quoted below:

/*
Imagine that you have your classic backup-schedule running fine.
Everything is calculated and designed well, so your tape gets   filled
well each night.
Now one user generates an unforeseen huge amount of data. For example,
he duplicates one big data-directory by mistake.
So the size of the directory raises within one day, maybe for multiple GBs.
Would your classic backup-scheme catch that? Or would it run out of
tape, simply because it was not calculated to have that filesystem with
that size?
Amanda would try to catch it (and most of the time succeed ...).
*/

What, if it does NOT succeed? For example, I run out of free tapes
unexpectedly early?

Do I get a notification, or do I loose data?

Example:
Let's assume, I have 5 clients to backup, my tapecycle is 5, my dumpcyle
is 3 and runspercycle is 5. I have all 5 tapes in my autochanger.
On Monday, clients 'U' & 'V' are in the full backup. On Tuesday, client
'W' is in full backup and during the day some user produces so much
data, that for Wednesday-Backup all three remaining tapes are used.
Then, there is  no tape left to hold the still pending full backups for
clients 'X' and 'Y' on Thursday or Friday...

The optimum would be an email after Wendnesday, that tells me that I
have to buy more tapes. The worst thing would be, that Amanda tapes over
the 'U & V' full backup tape for the 'X' and 'Y' backups.

So, can you tell me, what will happen in this case? Can I rely on not
loosing data, just because some user wrote an infinite loop in his
MonteCarlo program producing GBs of data?

Thanks for your help!