Amanda-Users

Re: recovery problem, help please

2007-07-27 11:20:41
Subject: Re: recovery problem, help please
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:52:55 -0400
On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 03:27:39PM +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> stan schrieb:
> >amidxtaped: No tapedev specified
>
> Sure Maybe you should configure a tapedev?!
>

> > I set up 3 configs, one for the RAIT, and one each for disk_only,
> > and tape_only. But when I try to use the alternate confis with
> > amrecover, I get a "no indexes" message, so I have somthing wrong there.
>
> You mean, you have backuped with one config and and try to restore with an
> other configuration and then it tells you "no indexes"? This results in
> that your configurations have different index directories. You can 1) set
> this to the same directory (to the one of the config you have used for
> backup) or 2) copy the indexes to the second directory.

I would have thought including the main config file, where this is defined
would have acompished this. The only entires in the disk_only, and
tape_only config files are _differences_ from the main config file, which
is included in all 3 configs. Am I missing something?

> > And the one for tape_only looks like this:
> > tapedev "/dev/nst0"
>
> Seems OK, if nst0 is the drive you use.

It is.

> > The config file for disk_only looks like this:
>
> No tapedev here? Set it to
> tapedev "file:/...../slots"

Like this?

tapedev=file:/vtapes/DailDump

> >I'm invoking amrecover on the client like this:
> >/opt/ama*/sbin/amrecover -s amanda -t amanda (as root).
>
> You have to specify the setname
> amrecover [[-C] <config>] [-s <index-server>] [-t <tape-server>]

OK, but the DailyDump is the defined in config, and I would not have
thought I would have gotten as far as being allowed to slect the restore
data set, and prompted for a tape if this was not working. Is this wrong?

> I don't tell amrecover the device. My server get this information out it's
> configuration files accociated with the config-option.

That has been my experince in the past too. But in this case it's not
working. Of course, since it's a complex config I have a "point of fear"
about this.

--
I'm sorry, no one here has any intentions of helping you with anything.
I am the manager of all of Customer Service."