Amanda-Users

Backup of windows host does not work

2007-07-09 13:07:15
Subject: Backup of windows host does not work
From: Bjoern B <bb AT ic-marl DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:25:59 +0200
Hi,

i´m trying to configure my first backup of a windows host.

We doing backups all night with other configs with this server from linux hosts.
So i could say: The server works

No we added a new config for a windows host and this does not work.

What i have done until now:

Reading the wiki http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Windows_client
And googled around.

On the Server:

Checked if the amanda Debian package we use is compiled with "--with-smbclient=/usr/bin/smbclient"

checked if smbclient is under /usr/bin

Install samba

created new amanda.conf
edited disklist
edited amandapass

created vtape

added to /etc/hosts

"IP-Address        FQDN-Client clientname clientname.workgroupname"

On the Client

added to c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

"IP-Adress FQDN-server servername servername.workgroupname"

Tested:

From Server:

Ping to FQDN-Client => OK
Ping to clientname => OK
Ping to clientname.workgroupname =>ok

smbclient connect from Server to client works with same username and passwort which is set in amandapass

From Client:

ping to FQDN-Server => OK
Ping to servername => OK
ping to servername.workgroup => ok

But an amcheck configname gets an :

"selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK"

The message apears every time, i tried the FQDN, the Clientname and clientname.workgroup

The same message apears if i deactivate the network card on the windows host. So i think that there is a problem on the server.

Can´t find a sulotion for this.

Did i have to configure more on the client?
Did i haven´t done something important?

Would be great if someone could tell me the magic to get this working.

thanks

BB