Amanda-Users

Re: DDS4 drive doesn't like DDS4 tapes

2007-01-28 22:25:26
Subject: Re: DDS4 drive doesn't like DDS4 tapes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:54:34 -0500
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 02:00:13PM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 11:28, you wrote:
>
> > My suggestion, if you haven't done so already,  is to take a fresh DDS4
> > tape
> > that has never been in any drive and try that in your new DDS4 drive. If
> > you've done this, and it still won't perform at DDS4, then I'd try and find
> > out what those DIP switches do, chances are good one of them will toggle
> > between DDS3/DDS4 compression.
>
> I've double-checked all the documented switches and they look OK.  Guess my
> next step is to try and find Seagate's tech support.

I've seen others mention using a cleaning tape, but I've not seen you, Kirk,
mention that you have tried one.

As to the switches, you noted you were using FreeBSD and guessing at the
switches by setting for Linux.  I think I'd have set them for "unix".
Though probably not for Solaris if that is separate.

FreeBSD and Solaris, long long ago had similar origins.  Solaris uses
a scsi tape driver config file, st.conf.  Does FreeBSD also?  On
Solaris it is in /kernel/drv.  If FreeBSD uses such a file, perhaps
it needs to be updated for DDS4.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)