Amanda-Users

Re: DDS4 drive doesn't like DDS4 tapes

2007-01-28 16:20:22
Subject: Re: DDS4 drive doesn't like DDS4 tapes
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:11:14 -0700

--On January 28, 2007 2:03:26 PM -0600 Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com> wrote:

On Sunday 28 January 2007 12:55, you wrote:

If its already had 2 years use, its possible the heads may be worn enough
to fail on the higher density tape, Kirk.

Great.  For curiosity's sake, would it likely have worked (and still be
working) if I'd switched to all brand-new DDS4 tapes from the start?

Try a cleaning tape first if you haven't. but all drives wear, though i don't know the particulars of DDS but atleast with DLT drives sometiems reading/writing the previous generation tapes will wear your heads excessively, though they do well document that fact and warn you about it.

In general the previous generation compatibility in tape drives is meant as a short stopgap so you can migrate to current generation tape, or read a previous generation tape in an emergency.

vtape is interesting, but I still haven't convinced myself that spindles
are  the equal of tapes.
--
Kirk Strauser

into trouble of all kinds."