Amanda-Users

Re: Sony AIT5 tapetype

2007-01-19 15:22:51
Subject: Re: Sony AIT5 tapetype
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:10:49 -0500

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 at 11:01am, Chris Hoogendyk wrote

define tapetype SONY-AIT5 {
  comment "SONY AIT5 8mm tape drive"
  #  data provided by Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
  #  produced by whacking it for 10 hrs or so with amtapetype
  #  on a Sun E250 with a Dual Ultra320 LVD SCSI PCI card
  length 389120 mbytes
  filemark 0 kbytes
  speed 24401 kps
}

I'm out of the AIT loop -- what's the rated speed? 24MB/s doesn't seem all that fast (then again, I'm used to LTO3), and I wonder if you could increase that with some tweaking.

The rated speed is 24MB/s. I was pleased that my overall setup was tuned to achieve that, and there were no bottlenecks or gotchas causing reduced speed or stops & starts. I've set it up with two 300G Seagate disks for spooling, so I can back up all my servers at once and push them to tape at maximum speed once they are done.

I expect my tweaking to come in the network area. I have a quad 100 network card in the backup server. We'll see how things work and consider trunking and a backside network if necessary. I only have one server that has been backed up over the network in the past (it didn't have a dds/3 of its own), and I did it with ufsdump piped through ssh to dd.

Do you achieve 80MB/s on your LTO3?

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator