Amanda-Users

Sony AIT5 tapetype

2007-01-19 11:43:28
Subject: Sony AIT5 tapetype
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:01:56 -0500
I have a brand new Sony LIB162/A5BBLE -- tape changer with one AIT5 tape drive. AIT5 just started shipping last fall, so I've had to do this without any examples turning up in google. Therefore, I thought I would toss it back to the list in case anyone else can use it.

I just finished using amtapetype to whack the drive overnight, and it came up with the following results (I modified the comments and replaced unknown-tapetype):

# /usr/local/sbin/amtapetype -f /dev/rmt/1n -e 400G

Writing 16384 Mbyte   compresseable data:  682 sec
Writing 16384 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  682 sec
Estimated time to write 2 * 409600 Mbyte: 34100 sec = 9 h 28 min
wrote 12451840 32Kb blocks in 95 files in 16323 seconds (short write)
wrote 12451840 32Kb blocks in 190 files in 16335 seconds (short write)
define tapetype SONY-AIT5 {
   comment "SONY AIT5 8mm tape drive"
   #  data provided by Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
   #  produced by whacking it for 10 hrs or so with amtapetype
   #  on a Sun E250 with a Dual Ultra320 LVD SCSI PCI card
   length 389120 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 24401 kps
}

----------------------------

To get the tape drive working, I had to go to Sony tech support. They hadn't released the unix configuration guide with the AIT5 updates yet. But, they gave me the details in an email.

I'm working on a Sun E250 running Solaris 9.

I edited /kernel/drv/st.conf and added:

  tape-config-list=
"SONY SDX-1100", "SONY AIT5 8mm", "SONY_AIT"; SONY_AIT = 2, 0x36, 0, 0x19639, 4, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0, 60, 900, 900, 1500, 1200, 1200, 18000;

Of course, that requires a `touch /reconfigure` and `reboot`.

Then, I was able to do `mt -f /dev/rmt/1n status` and successfully run ufsdump.

------------------------------

To get the changer working, I edited /kernel/drv/sgen.conf and added:

  device-type-config-list=changer;

and uncommented the whole block of lines that had the form:

  name="sgen" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;

Of course, again, `touch /reconfigure` and `reboot`.

Then I downloaded and installed mtx (from sunfreeware as mtx-1.2.17-sol9-sparc-local.gz). Checked the man pages, and was able to do `/usr/local/sbin/mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c7t0d0 status`.

That worked and I could also move tapes around, load them, unload them, etc. I could see bar codes as well.

I also have sonytape software that I downloaded from sony support. Haven't used it yet. But it is supposed to handle things like firmware upgrades. I used the web interface to change the password, because scrolling through the entire ascii character set on the front panel was just too much. Then I disconnected it. Command line from the server should be totally adequate.

--------------------------------

I haven't got amanda configured and running yet.

So I may still have some questions for the group.

But, I thought I would toss this information up on the list just in case anyone else can make use of it.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center