Amanda-Users

Hardware compression and dump size problems

2007-01-03 14:31:42
Subject: Hardware compression and dump size problems
From: Chris Cameron <chris.cameron AT netthruput DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:01:50 -0700
This seems like it'd be a common occurrence but I've looked all over.

I have a DLT-8000. 40/80 Gig tapes. I want to backup a 50 gig partition and am going to use hardware compression. Amanda says the dump won't fit.

This configuration was working with server compression turned on and a different tape drive.

Error:

NOTES:
 planner: cgydc002 /dev/vg01/lv_data 20070103 0 [dump larger than tape,
53128750 KB, full dump delayed]
 taper: tape Wk2Tue kb 2088288 fm 4 [OK]

My tape type:
define tapetype DLT8000-40 {
   comment "just produced by tapetype program"
   length 37482 mbytes
   filemark 2362 kbytes
   speed 5482 kps

}

My dump type:
define dumptype full-hlding-high-cgy {
       comment "Full backup"
#       compress server fast
       compress none
       program "GNUTAR"
       dumpcycle 0
       priority high
       strategy noinc
       holdingdisk no
       index yes
       exclude "./dcbackup"
}

What do I need to do to have AMANDA try writing this all to tape? I realize it can't know how well the hardware compression will do, but trying to fit 50 gigs compressed on a 40 gig tape doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm running Amanda-2.4.4p4. I've tried "comprate 0.50" with no success.

Thanks,
Chris