Amanda-Users

Re: odd behavior after adding DLE

2006-12-22 09:46:26
Subject: Re: odd behavior after adding DLE
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Joel Coltoff <joel AT wmi DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:26:43 -0500
Now I remember,

The bug is with the use of "strategy skip" or "ignore".

If you want to use them, you must upgrade your server to 2.5.1p2.

Jean-Louis
I moved the dumptype define for this DLE to the bottom of amanda.conf and
the problem was still there. When I added "strategy skip" to the dumptype
define the problem went away. I don't claim this proves my config files
are correct but I feel that's the hint I am getting. Also, if there were
an issue with the order of entries in amanda.conf then moving the DLE in
the diskfile shouldn't make a difference.

I do have more data points. The backup ran ok last night with that DLE
at the bottom of the disklist file. I also added a duplicate DLE using a
cname for the host. Both completed without problems. There are also
other entries that were disabled with "strategy skip". If I remove this
line from the dumptype I see the same problem.

I didn't expect these issues when we moved to our new servers. Then again,
I should know better. I've been down this road before and there is always
a surprise waiting for you.

- Joel