Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda file driver questions

2006-12-20 16:54:19
Subject: Re: Amanda file driver questions
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: up AT 3 DOT am
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:36:45 +0100
up AT 3 DOT am schreef:

For chg-disk, you don't need a changer.conf.
The number of "tapes" is taken from the dumpcycle paramater.
And the "changerfile" parameter is the prefix of a set of
files.

Sorry, I'm still confused about that changerfile...is it a file, or just a
text string to be used as the "prefix" for...what?  Tape names?  In the
wiki above, they show this example:

changerfile "/home/amanda/test/chg-disk-status"    # status files prefix

But no example contents for that file.

The changer scripts need some files to store status information
while operating the virtual tape.  It is the scripts that
read/write these files.  You don't need to fill them.
You just have to give path where to put them.  (The last
part of that pathname may be, but does not need to be a directory;
it is uses a prefix for some filenames.)

Also, chg-disk needs a "tapedev" which points to the root
of a directory tree, containing "slotN" (N = 1... up-to-tapecycle)
subdirectories.

I used:

tapedev "file:/mnt/usb/dumps"

The example page for chg-disk uses:

tapedev "file:/amandatapes/test/slots"

I assume either should work fine, but still find the distinction between
the "slot" name and the (virtual) tape name a little confusing.  Is there

The chg-disk vtape changer emulates a changer with many tapes and
one drive, and a mechanism to "insert" a tape in the drive.
Compare this to the chg-multi changer, which emulates a changer with
many drives, each having one tape.
The mechanism to insert a tape with chg-disk is to point a symlink
to the correct tape.

any point in using:

labelstr "^FULL[0-9][0-9]*$"

Like I did for "real tapes", when amanda is going ahead and using "slotN"
for the names of each dmp directory anyway?

Yes, because, in advanced use, you can move a vtape (slot) to
some other media (external disk, dvd...).

Alternatively, you can use chg-multi instead of chg-disk, and
have a detail changer.conf containing the layout of your
vtapes.

There is an example in the wiki.

According to that wiki, I would think chg-disk (simpler) would be better
for me)

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0

firstslot 1
lastslot 2
you probably mean "lastslot 4"

For chg-disk, this parameter is moot, since the file is, correct?

Even better, for chg-disk, you don't need any changer.conf file
at all...