Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda file driver questions

2006-12-20 13:20:33
Subject: Re: Amanda file driver questions
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:09:47 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Paul Bijnens wrote:

> Also have a look at the updated version:
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver

ok, thanks for that pointer....

> > and was able to get the first backup, but I seem confused about how to do
> > a "virtual tape" rotation.  I never used a changer before, so perhaps I
> > don't get the distinction between the slot number and the tape number.  I
> > basically want to have a 4 week level 0 rotation, where after the 4th
> > week, the first week gets overwritten, etc, just like a tape would.
> >
> > I created a directory on a usb drive like this:
> >
> > /mnt/usb/dumps
> >
> > I put this in my amanda.conf:
> >
> > dumpcycle 4 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> > tapecycle 4 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
> >
> > tapetype HARD-DISK              # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes
> > labelstr "^FULL[0-9][0-9]*$"    # label constraint regex: all tapes must
> >
> > tpchanger "chg-disk"
> >
> > changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/weekly/changer.conf"
> >
> > define tapetype HARD-DISK {
> >          comment "Hard disk backup storage instead of tape"
> >          length 300000 mbytes
> > }
>
>  > Then in my changer.conf, this:
>

> For chg-disk, you don't need a changer.conf.
> The number of "tapes" is taken from the dumpcycle paramater.
> And the "changerfile" parameter is the prefix of a set of
> files.

Sorry, I'm still confused about that changerfile...is it a file, or just a
text string to be used as the "prefix" for...what?  Tape names?  In the
wiki above, they show this example:

changerfile "/home/amanda/test/chg-disk-status"    # status files prefix

But no example contents for that file.

> Also, chg-disk needs a "tapedev" which points to the root
> of a directory tree, containing "slotN" (N = 1... up-to-tapecycle)
> subdirectories.

I used:

tapedev "file:/mnt/usb/dumps"

The example page for chg-disk uses:

tapedev "file:/amandatapes/test/slots"

I assume either should work fine, but still find the distinction between
the "slot" name and the (virtual) tape name a little confusing.  Is there
any point in using:

labelstr "^FULL[0-9][0-9]*$"

Like I did for "real tapes", when amanda is going ahead and using "slotN"
for the names of each dmp directory anyway?

> Alternatively, you can use chg-multi instead of chg-disk, and
> have a detail changer.conf containing the layout of your
> vtapes.
>
> There is an example in the wiki.

According to that wiki, I would think chg-disk (simpler) would be better
for me)

> > multieject 0
> > gravity 0
> > needeject 0
> > ejectdelay 0
> >
> > firstslot 1
> > lastslot 2
>
> you probably mean "lastslot 4"

For chg-disk, this parameter is moot, since the file is, correct?

Thanks again, sorry for my density...

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am