Amanda-Users

Re: Problem after years of backing up successful: "data timeout"

2006-12-14 19:44:32
Subject: Re: Problem after years of backing up successful: "data timeout"
From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:36:33 +1100
All,

I am replying to my own email cause I fixed it ...
however, I am not sure whether this is a bug!

I tried a lot of things to find the problem ... until I did
a "mount" to display the mounted devices. I just wanted
to see whether a USB HD (which I use for the ODD backup of the
system and this thing is BIG) is mounted.

I saw that a WINDOWS workstation which I had mounted
(to check the size of a partition and the used filespace)
was still mounted ... (the amanda host is a samba host too).

Further I saw lots of thesew messages in the logs
  smb_add_request: request [3d6a9e00, mid=1646] timed out

I umounted the windows workstation partition and everything
is fine now ...

What I find strange:

 * If I have a drive mounted from a UNIX box and the
   the Unix workstation is now turned off it doesnt matter,
   this does NOT affect amanda.

 * The windows workstation in question is NOT part
   of the disklist (I do not backup any windows boxen)
   and I do not have any windows based servers.

 * all machines backed up by Amanda are UNIX based.

So how can a windows workstation that has one of its partition
mounted and is now turned of affect Amanda although
the workstation is not part of the daily backup routine????

jobst

--
My Carpenter has a 1956 VW Beetle. He still can go to any place in Australia,
use any Oil, spark plugs, pertol, tires, wiper blades, etc available today with