Amanda-Users

Re: Problem after years of backing up successful: "data timeout"

2006-12-13 09:03:01
Subject: Re: Problem after years of backing up successful: "data timeout"
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:36:44 -0500
Jobst,

if your data grows you may actually run into an estimate timeout
after a long period of success, I did just the other day, had a
20 minute timeout and checking the /tmp/amanda logs on the client
I found that the estimate didn't finish for nearly 23 minutes.

I'm not saying you had the same problem I did, but the log files
on the client are a great place to confirm or disprove.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:48:19AM +1100, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

> Hi.
>
> All over sudden I get a "data timeout", e.g.:

>   adminserver /var lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
>   adminserver /home lev 3 FAILED [data timeout]
>
> I havent changed a thing on the machines involved for
> a while (I work on the basic principle "if aint broken, dont fix")
>

> Now I have searched the net and found a few pointers,
> but all those I found do not help:
>
>  * I do not use compression (I use hardware compression)
>
>  * its NOT backing up another host, its the LOCAL machine
>    backing up itself, and I have never had any problems with this
>
>  * the dtimeout already is 1800
>
>  * since the last reboot of the machine I have done
>    lots of successfull backups.
>
>  * I havent installed anything new for a while on that machine.
>
>  * I havent hanged anything (xinet, hosts.allow, .amandahost, directories,
>    amanda, whatever).
>

> Looking at the "sendbackup.XXXX.debug I can see the following message:

>   index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
>
> The index file for the latest ones are missing, that is correct.
>

> I checked all the permissions on the "amanda" based directories, and they
> look fine to me.
>

> What can be the cause for the errors popping up?
>

> jobst
>

> --
> Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly. -F1
>
>   | |0| |   Jobst Schmalenbach, jhs AT barrett.com DOT au, Technical Director
>   | | |0|   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
>   |0|0|0|   +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org