Amanda-Users

Re: not allowed to execute the service noop: Please add "amdump" to the line in /root/.amandahosts

2006-12-08 10:13:44
Subject: Re: not allowed to execute the service noop: Please add "amdump" to the line in /root/.amandahosts
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: mario <ml AT bortal DOT de>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 09:03:23 -0600
mario wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 08:40 -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
mario wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:12 -0500, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
mario wrote:
Hello List,

i am running Amanda version 2.4.5 on Ubuntu Breezy and i get this error:

These dumps were to tape TEST-2.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
The next new tape already labelled is: TEST-3.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  planner: ERROR testserverNAK :  user backup from testserver is not
allowed to execute the service noop: Please add "amdump" to the line
in /root/.amandahosts
  testserver      /dev/sda2 RESULTS MISSING

But amdump is already in /root/.amandahosts:

cat /root/.amandahosts
localhost root amdump

why localhost? why root? The message tell you it's testserver and backup.

add: testserver backup amdump

I still get the same error. Looks like localhost gets resolved to
testserver?
Check /etc/hosts.  Some distros don't separate the localhost entry
from the actual hostname (i.e., put localhost on the real IP and
not just on 127.0.0.1)

My /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1             localhost
192.168.178.20    localhost testserver

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

That looks good to me. Did you mean it like that?

Lookups using /etc/hosts are linear, from top to bottom, scanning
each line until a match is found.  In your case, the first name
that matches 192.168.178.20 is 'localhost'.  Try either reversing
the order of the names on the 192.xx line or removing the localhost
entry from that line.  Personally, I only have localhost assigned
to the loopback address (127.0.0.1), but there may be some reason
for listing it on both lines.

Frank