Amanda-Users

Re: How to force amanda to serialize dumper/taper

2006-12-06 16:21:20
Subject: Re: How to force amanda to serialize dumper/taper
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Evan Harris <eharris AT puremagic DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 15:44:49 -0500
Evan,

What OS, type of tape, type of drive, HW platform ?

I'm unfamiliar with a parameter to do what your asking
for for good measure, what version of Amanda ?

Actually, how did you determine that a drive within a changer
was shoe-shining ? What else shares the bus with the tape and
with the amanda work area drive(s) ?

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 02:34:31PM -0600, Evan Harris wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my tape drive shoe-shining because the holding
> disk can't keep up with the tape drive if it is also being written to by a
> dumper.  Without the extra disk seek overhead of dumpers writing to the
> holding disk at the same time, the holding disk should be plenty fast
> enough to keep the tape drive streaming.
>
> Is there any way I can force amanda to serialize the dumper/taper so that
> they are never run concurrently?  I've already set inparallel to 1, but
> that only affects how many dumpers can run, not the taper.
>
> I've also tried increasing the tapebufs parameter to 8000 (256MiB) to see
> if that would at least let the drive stay streaming for longer periods, but
> if it made any difference, it wasn't significant.  What thresholds does the
> taper use to decide when the tapebufs are filled enough to start tape
> motion?  There doesn't seem to be any docs on that, or settings to
> customize.
>
> I did get a suggestion that I should just leave the tape out of the drive,
> let the dumpers fill the holding disk and then load the tape and run
> amflush, but that doesn't really work when using a changer, plus the
> holding disk isn't large enough for the total size of all the backups,
> though it can fit them one-by-one.
>
> Seems like there should be a "speed" config option for holding disks like
> there is for network interfaces and tape drives, so that amanda could test
> to see if the holding disk can't handle dumpers using the holding disk at
> the same time a taper is running.  That seems like it'd solve the problem
> nicely, and even seems to fit with the scheme amanda uses for network
> interfaces.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Evan
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org