Amanda-Users

Re: RE Compression usage

2006-07-07 10:40:58
Subject: Re: RE Compression usage
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:36:04 -0400

===========
> If you switch over you need to physically label the tape etc otherwise
> restores won't be able to read the tape if you got the setting wrong to the
> tape...

This part is not accurate.  Tape drives automatically adjust to the HW
compression or not during reads.  All the settings we have been talking
about "defcompression", "stinit", ... affect writing, not reading.

Where you might have a problem is if you made a tape with SW compressed
(gzip'ped) dumps, then changed your config to use HW only, then you would
have to manually recover the data, insert the gzip command, or temporarily
reset your config during recovery.  The data are still valid and recoverable.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)