Amanda-Users

Re: RE Compression usage

2006-07-05 05:48:33
Subject: Re: RE Compression usage
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 02:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Ok, so what I really wanted to do was to use software compression, and not
hardware compression.

Cyrille's suggestion sounds like what I need, but again I'm not sure whether
using this command will mean that compression is turned off "permanently".
I'll look into the stinit command in the meantime...

Now I'm wondering about the tapes I've already used while hardware
compression was still on.  Obviously the tape drive will need to feed those
tapes through its decompression mechanism to read them again.  If I use the
command as suggested by Cyrille, will that mean that the used tapes become
unreadable, or that you have to manually turn compression on and off (I've
read the the compression command overrides the defcompression one for the
currently loaded tape)?

Thanks.

Joe