Amanda-Users

Re: getting "tape not found" errors

2006-06-17 11:30:50
Subject: Re: getting "tape not found" errors
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:24:28 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 12:11:26PM +0100, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
Hi all,

Occasionaly I get the following errors after amdump:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [label ISR006 or new tape not found in rack].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: ISR006.

which is simply not true, since

$ amtape ISR label ISR006
amtape: scanning for tape with label ISR006
amtape: slot 3: date 20060615 label ISR004 (wrong tape)
amtape: slot 4: date 20060616 label ISR005 (wrong tape)
amtape: slot 5: date 20060612 label ISR006 (exact label match)
amtape: label ISR006 is now loaded.

works just fine.

No certainty, just possibilities based on what I've observed
with my DDS3 changer and tapes:

 - failing tape that is still sort of ok
 - tape heads needing cleaning
 - changer and/or other scripts needing delays to let actions
   complete because the hardware driver sometimes returns with
   success before an action is completed

This has the waddle and quack of the same duck I used to fight with when using DDS2 tapes in a Seagate 4586n changer.

I was then using chg-scsi to run the changer, and I came to the conclusion, even straced it, that chg-scsi was not capable of issueing a rewind command to the drive, and that chg-scsi then left the tape sitting at block 1 when it should have left it at block 0. The next time it ran, it wouldn't find that ape in the drive, and would then cycle thru the rest of the magazine looking for, and failing to find it. The next time amcheck ran, it advanced that tape back into the drive and found it. Next time it would fail etc etc, working every other time. As you can imagine, this put a lot of wear and tear on the cchanger, contributing to their early demise in my environment and causing me to go to virtual tapes about 2 years ago now.

Conversely, if it found it, then amdump couldn't, cycleing thru the magazine. A new run of amdump would then cycle that tape back in and find it just fine, and amdump itself could rewind the tape and apply the new label header with that date & run the backup just fine.

The problem was that chg-scsi's only way to rewind a tape was to eject it, at which point the drive rewound it as part of the ejection. And neither chg-scsi, nor amdump, presumably using chg-scsi as the interface, would rewind the tape before the initial label check.

I posted about it at the time, but I guess everyone just figured I had duff changers because I've never seen a fix for chg-scsi checked into the ChangeLog. I looked at chg-scsi myself, thinking I might be able to fix it, but came to the conclusion I wasn't smart enough to fix that bowl of spagetti. The last person I know of that worked on chg-scsi, a german gent, hasn't been heard from since about 2002 on this list. Thomas Hepper ISTR.