Amanda-Users

dumps always too big to dump

2006-03-23 06:48:11
Subject: dumps always too big to dump
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:40:43 +0100

Hello again,

Thank you very much for all your help. Amanda now runs as I expected
with "maxpromoteday 1" and reassigning hosts to different configs. I
have to wait for another server, till I switch  to a newer amanda
version, so I can easily adopt vtapes.

Now I have another problem. I just post it into this thread, because it
may be in connection with my setup.

One of the disks can't get level 0 backuped.

#############
springfield.edvz.sbg.ac.at:/mnt/bigdisk 0 planner: [dumps too big,
20675843 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]
#############

I raised the tapecycle but it didn't anything good.

Can anybody help me, because I can't backup one of my disks at all, now.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have a rather old workstation running tao 1 (is RHEL 3) with amanda
> > amanda-2.4.4p1-0.3E.1 . Since this is too old for vdisks, we just backup
> > to the holding disk. But it makes lots of level 0 backups. Some
> > filesystems have level 0 just every day!
> >
> > Is there a way to make level incemental backups more often? Making more
> > fulls throughout the backup cycle is ok since we got enough space, but
> > not that many!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thomas

- --

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *