Amanda-Users

Re: Sizes don't fit?

2006-03-13 10:49:23
Subject: Re: Sizes don't fit?
From: "." <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:45:31 +0100
Paul Bijnens wrote:

Sidenote...
Have a look at the "columnspec" parameter for amanda.conf and add
some whitespace between the columns.

Thanks, I already did so, and it looks much better now :)

How can a _full_ dump of a 93 MB partition (/) make for an uncompressed size of 40 MB? The dump of the /home partition is likewise weird.

Different possibilities.

- Do you use gnutar with an exclude list?  What is excluded?

no

- When you remove a file that is still open by some process, the

doesn't apply

There may be some logfiles being rotated during the backup, but it's nothing that would explain why there's so much more on the disk than is going into a full backup.

- A file having one byte, occupies one diskblock.  Many small files,
  and possibly large diskblocks (noting the size of your partitions
  that is probably the case!) results in much wasted diskspace.

Clusters are 4kb, according to that a directory entry occupies at least 4kb. But there's not an extraordinary amount of small files on that server.

But it is still weird...

Any files missing in the backup?

I have recreated arbitrary files accidentially deleted or overwritten by users from the backup a few times, and that always went flawless.

There's so many files on the server, how can I tell if some are missing?

Any files having a weird small (0?) size in the backup that is
not zero in the filesystem?

What's the best way to check that?

What version of gnutar are you using?  There are known bugs in 1.14.x
and 1.15.0 having to do with sparse files (although nothing I've
seen would result in this behaviour -- the backup itself would be
find, only restoring sparse files with that version would be a problem.)
Or are you using dump?

Hm, I'm using two dump-types:

define dumptype dfault {
    comment "default type"
    options compress-best, index
    priority medium
}

define dumptype dfault-no-x {
    comment "default type, no compression"
    options no-compress, index
    priority medium
}

What will be used with that? Dump and gzip?

Tar --version says "tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1".

Dumps are promoted most of the time. Am I making a bad mistake somewhere?

That is weird indeed.
What is the output "amadmin config balance"?

 due-date  #fs    orig kB     out kB   balance
 3/13 Mon    1   50392915   51852141   +402.6%

 3/18 Sat    9    2701490    1351082    -86.9%
 3/19 Sun    1   27599345   19014502    +84.3%
TOTAL       11   80693750   72217725  10316817
  (estimated 7 runs per dumpcycle)

I'll have to find out tomorrow what this is supposed to tell me. Backups are being run every day, 10 tapes are in the changer.

GH