Amanda-Users

Re: Which is the correct way to backup windows servers using amanda? Is there one?

2006-03-10 07:16:15
Subject: Re: Which is the correct way to backup windows servers using amanda? Is there one?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: Moritz Both <mb AT aldebaran DOT de>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:13:30 +0100
Moritz Both schrieb:

> As it turned out, all backups of the windows servers were
> incomplete. smbclient thought 70-80 files per directory must be enough.
> At backup time, it just went ahead to the next directory, and whenever a
> directory contained more than this many files, they were simply ignored
> without any warning or error message.
>
> The result is massive data loss. (Professional hardware data recovery
> failed.)
>
> We installed a samba update on the debian sarge server. Now, more files
> make it to the tape, but some other bug in smbclient makes it fail after
> it has run for a certain time.

This sounds like an smbclient-bug to me ...

Please let me know the exact releases of Samba used, in general I would
be interested to know the exact setup (OS versions, etc.)

You may also send that to me via private mail, even in german, if
preferred ;-)

Maybe the Samba-Bugzilla would give you more infos on that ...

Greets, Stefan.