Amanda-Users

Re: If most recent backup is not level 0, recovery fails to bring back all files when directories have been renamed

2006-03-08 07:39:22
Subject: Re: If most recent backup is not level 0, recovery fails to bring back all files when directories have been renamed
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 07:35:51 -0500
On Wednesday 08 March 2006 06:50, Dave Ewart wrote:
>On Wednesday, 08.03.2006 at 11:34 +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
>> I've just been caught out by something which is either
>>
>> (a) a limitation of AMANDA and/or tar/dump;
>> (b) a bug.
>
>A follow-up, prompted by a reply from Paul, indicating that I had
> indeed forgotten a couple of rather important bits of information!
>
>- The filesystem being discussed is ext3
>
>- AMANDA is using 'tar' (i.e. amanda.conf states: program "GNUTAR")
>
>On the client being backed-up:
>
>$ tar --version
>
>tar (GNU tar) 1.14

We believe this version of tar is borked.  Please get the older 1.13-19,
1.13-25, or the newer 1.15-1.  For whatever reason, 1.14 was only
visible on gnu.org for about 5 or 6 weeks, being replaced with 1.15-1,
which for gnu.org, considering the speed they normally run at, is
instantainious.  I've been running 1.15-1 since about a week after it
became available without problems.

>Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
>Dave.

message by Gene Heskett are: