Amanda-Users

ip_conntrack_amanda problem with Linux kernel 2.6

2006-03-03 07:08:49
Subject: ip_conntrack_amanda problem with Linux kernel 2.6
From: "Jorge Izquierdo (UAM)" <jorge.izquierdo AT uam DOT es>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:04:11 +0100
Hi everybody!

We are using amanda software to backup our servers and workstations
onour department and we have a problem with the iptables configurations
ofsome of the amanda clients.

The problem is with the stations with Linux with kernel version
2.6. Using the same configuration as in Linux with kernel 2.4 for the
iptables software the ones with kernel 2.6 reports an error when trying
to make the backup because the server cannot connect to TCP ports
suggested by the client. Those ports are not opened by default on the
iptables configuration, the ip_conntrack_amanda module loaded from the
/etc/sysconfig/iptables-config file, should open those ports (ramdomly
chosed by the client) related to the first connection.

So it seems that the ip_conntrack_amanda module on kernel 2.6 does not
work properly. Any ideas? Any bug? One posible solution could be to open
the range of ports from which client randomly select the port to dump
the backup to server. Does anybody knows what this range is in the
amanda-client RPM package or how to discover it?

Thanks in advance if anybody may help me.

Jorge

Jorge Izquierdo                      e-mail: jorge.izquierdo AT uam DOT es
Laboratorio de Física de Altas Energías
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid.    Phone: 34 91 497 3976
Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain.