Amanda-Users

Re: question about external drives

2006-03-03 04:21:06
Subject: Re: question about external drives
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:13:38 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Ian Turner wrote:
> On Thursday 02 March 2006 12:31, you wrote:
> > Does UDF support a modern permissions system though? I thought it
> > didn't, because it was designed for optical media...
>
> Yes. It is designed to be a superset of all common filesystems, feature-wise.
> So it has support for NT ACLs, POSIX ACLs, UNIX permissions, Apple file types
> and resource forks, etc.
>
> I dunno if Windows is OK with UDF on a hard disk, though I have heard of
> seeing it on USB flash sticks.
>
> Also, UDF is optimized for devices with high seek times -- it tries very hard
> to avoid fragmentation, which might actually be suboptimal on hard disks.

That sounds actually good to me...

A while ago I read somewhere that we should start to treat hard drives more
like tape drives:
  - disk capacity is increasing a lot,
  - disk transfer speeds are also increasing, but less compared to capacity,
  - disk latency (seek times) is improving very slowly.

Hence currently it takes much longer to copy an average disk than it took a few
years ago.

And while raw transfer speeds are great, as soon as you need a seek, it
degrades a lot.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds