Amanda-Users

Re: Illegal slot?

2005-12-29 11:49:29
Subject: Re: Illegal slot?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:32:53 -0500
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 08:57:01AM +0100, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
> Yesterday I've setup a new config with chg-manual and runtapes 2. Both
> yesterday and tonight, amverifyrun had failed with this error:
>
> Tapes:
> Errors found:
> amtape: could not load slot <none>: /usr/lib/amanda/chg-manual: illegal
> slot: -1
>
> amverify bkalfa-all
> Thu Dec 29 02:52:01 CET 2005

> ** Error loading slot -1
> amtape: could not load slot <none>: /usr/lib/amanda/chg-manual: illegal
> slot: -1
>
> This error is strange because if i specify slot number on the command
> line all works (it want to check the second tape that it wasn't written
> but this is not a problem...).
> I've checked changer-status and changer-status-slot files but it's all
> ok. I suppose there's a file somewhere where amverify (o amverifyrun)
> take the (wrong) current slot number...
>
> How can i fix this problem? I would run amverify from cron...

Giovanni,
would you confirm for me that chg-manual is the correct script
for you to use with your hardware.  chg-manual is intended to
be used with a single tape drive which requires an operator
to remove one tape and replace it with a new tape.  I.e. the
change from one 'slot' to the next is done manually.  Usually
the script is set up to notify the operator, often by email,
that a change is necessary.

Given the normal use for chg-manual, I don't see how you could
do an amdump and amverify from cron with runtapes > 1.

Are you actually using tape library hardware that automatically
can switch tapes?  If so, use one of the other chg- scripts,
-scsi, -mtx, or -zd-mtx.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)