Amanda-Users

Re: Disappearing Dumps...

2005-12-19 19:53:03
Subject: Re: Disappearing Dumps...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:44:55 -0500
On Monday 19 December 2005 17:53, Dan Brown wrote:
>I have recently just upgraded amanda an amanda installation from
> 2.4.4p1 and upgraded the backup host from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora FC4.
>
>I've also conglomerated the backed up hosts from several
> configurations which ran independantly of each other, into a single
> configuration which amanda will manage itself (hopefully well).
>Other than the move of all hosts from their respective configurations
> into one, not much else has changed.
>
>There is a host however in this new config whose backups magically
> disappear after the first chunk.  This host is a temporary copy of
> the old backup host, something which will sit in the backup rotation
> for a month or two to ensure we don't need any files off of the
> machine before it's completely wiped out.
>Strangely enough, level 0 backups don't want to be dumped to the
> holding disks either.  This is the mailout from amanda after the
> backup attempt (I've removed all other hosts in order to debug
> this).  The holding disks are 150GB and 50GB in size respectively,
> both more than enough to hold any one part of the split up disks.

Ahh, but what is the value of the reserved keyword in your holdiingdisk
definition section of your amanda.conf?

By default, all holdingdisk space is reserved for incremental backups,
which prevents it from being used for level 0's.  I have around 25GB
free there, with a reserved setting of -500m, which means it can use
all but the last 500 megs for level 0's.

> [...]
>    use 1000 kbps
>}
>
>define interface eth0 {
>    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
>    use 1000 kbps
>}
>

>---------- disklist ----------
># Separation of other servers into multiple disks #blackhawk /clients
> / { #       high-tar-comp
>#       include "./clients"
>#       } 1
>#blackhawk /notclients / {
>#       high-tar-comp
>#       exclude "./clients" "./tmp"
>#       } 1
>#gimp /clients / {
>#        # all client directories
>#        high-tar-comp
>#        include "./clients"
>#        } 1
>#gimp /mysql / {
>#        # the mysql databases
>#        high-tar-comp
>#        include "./var/lib/mysql"
>#        } 1
>#gimp /home / {
>#        # home directories
>#        high-tar-comp
>#        include "./home"
>#        } 1
>#gimp /incoming / {
>#        # the incoming directory
>#        high-tar-comp
>#        include "./zu/incoming"
>#        } 1
>#gimp /everythingelse / {
>#        # whatever isn't included in the above four definitions
>#        high-tar-comp
>#        include "./*"
>#        exclude "./clients" "./tmp" "./zu/incoming" "./home"
>"./var/lib/mysql"
>#        } 1
>#arahk /everything / {
>#        # the entire 15GB disk of the server arahk
>#       high-tar-comp
>#       include "./*"
>#       } 1
>oldgimp /clients / {
>        # all client directories
>        high-tar-comp
>        include "./clients"
>        } 1
>oldgimp /var/lib/mysql / {
>        # mysqld databases
>        high-tar-comp
>#       include "./var/lib/mysql"
>        } 2
>oldgimp /zu/incoming / {
>        # the old zu/incoming
>        high-tar-comp
>#       include "./zu/incoming"
>        } 1
>oldgimp /home / {
>        # home directories
>        high-tar-comp
>        include "./home"
>        } 1
>oldgimp /everythingelse / {
>        # whatever isn't included in the above four definitions
>        high-tar-comp
>        include "./*"
>        exclude "./clients" "./tmp" "./zu/incoming" "./home"
>"./var/lib/mysql"
>        } 1
>

>Oh yeah, the identical definitions which work on gimp, don't work on

People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this
address: <gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net> which bypasses vz's
message by Gene Heskett are: