Amanda-Users

RE: /etc/dumpdates

2005-12-19 17:52:05
Subject: RE: /etc/dumpdates
From: "Paul Seniuk" <Paul AT ThinkTel DOT ca>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:45:45 -0500
Thanks for the reply ....

After comparing this server to 9 others in the dump, amanda client seems
to be installed fine.

I did discover that this server was comprimsed and was running a SPAM
script from /usr/lib/asterisk/.amandad .....god forbid I ever run into
these script kiddies on the street.

Having said that, I am assuming that the compromise may have broke
something on this server.

I tried a re-installation of amanda-client with the same error. I did
notice that after re-installing
/etc/dumpdates was not created during the install, which tells me perms
are still a problem here, but im stuck
 because the Group ID is fine:
#>id amanda
   uid=33(amanda) gid=6(disk) groups=6(disk)

Perms on /etc/dumpdates is:

-rw-rw-r--  1 root disk 172 Dec 16 02:37 dumpdates

Would anything be logged about failing to create /etc/dumpdates (get
that long pole out, I used the RPM version for CentOS) ?

For 'fun', I tried putting the perms to 777 ..still same error

Any feedback on this would be appreciated :)

Paul Seniuk
Hosting Division,
Thinktel Communications