Amanda-Users

RE: VXA-V23 tape difficulties

2005-12-14 06:45:50
Subject: RE: VXA-V23 tape difficulties
From: "Hommersom, Gerrit (G)" <GHOMMERSOM AT dow DOT com>
To: "'Paul Bijnens'" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:35:53 -0600
Thanks very much for the clear explanation of the potential other causes but
tape-error.

Though I will run a cleaning tape, I have a suspicion that this is not the
case. Tapes themselves are also quite new: 6-7th cycle.

The 'end-of-tape' error occurred on 5 different tapes on 5 consecutive days
for one DLE until I force-bumped all due DLE's except the one failing all
the time.
This one was followed by 2 failures on the next large DLE. I have forced
this DLE and force-bumped all other big DLE's and await tomorrow.

That was the motivation for the minimum tape length of a backed-up DLE.

Kind regards
Gerrit Hommersom                        Dow Benelux BV
tel:    -31-115-674102                   E&PS/439 Bldg
fax:    -31-115-673315                       PO Box 48
E-mail: ghommersom AT dow DOT com           4530 AA Terneuzen