Amanda-Users

Re: use 2 drives

2005-12-12 09:59:05
Subject: Re: use 2 drives
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Thomas Grieder <amanda AT moonsmile DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:51:03 +0100
Thomas Grieder wrote:
Hi

How is it possible to use more than one drive?

Is it possible to run two backup jobs at the same time to different
drives in the same backup library?

Yes, but the clients need to be separated in the two configs. You
cannot have some DLEs in one config and other DLEs of the same
client in the other config.

Using two drives in one configuration is currently not possible.
(Apart from chg-multi: using one after the other, which is not
what you intend, I guess.)
AAPW(*)

If you have 3 or more drives, you could use the rait output driver.
(For rait with 2 drives, there is no gain in speed or capacity,
because the second tape is a mirror in that case.)

To use one client in two configs at the same time, you can also
stretch Amanda a little:
Compile the Amanda suite again, installing it in a different place,
and specifying a different set of ports for /etc/services:

   ./configure --with-testing=_2 --with-user=... ...

This will add a suffix "_2" to the service names, and we add those
in /etc/services:

  amanda_2      10090/udp
  amandaidx_2   10092/tcp
  amidxtaped_2  10093/tcp

Install and configure this second set of programs on both server and
client. That probably means you need to change the --with-prefix too
or use something like --program-suffix=... (I have never used that
last option, it could mean something else! use at your own risk!)

And now this client can accept requests from two different configs
at the same time, each using their own set of ports.

(*) All Applicable Patches Welcome.

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *